Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Melt Potting"

I have been eyeing the magic "Melting Pot" in Michaels for quite some time and wondering what on earth it really is. Well, few days ago I "Googled" and "You Tubed" it and the result was that the next day I practically run to get it. I could NOT get to Michaels fast enough. 

I got my Melting Pot, Kool Toolz, clear UTEE and cookie cutters. Later I realized that I should really get some FLEX in case I happen to make accidentally something so awesome that it's a "forever keeper". Jo-Anns had none, Michaels had clearanced them out (!!!!) a while ago, and smaller craft stores were already close. Next day I fortunately found some (eh, bought all 3 bottles they had) from my local scrapbooking store, and  today finally... PLAY TIME!

All except the clear ones are done with various embossing powder mixes. I have lots of embossing powders and now they finally get some good use. It was really fun to try different combinations and see what comes out of it. I realized that I don't have any bright colors, so I need to fix that. I do plan to color clear UTEE with my Tim Holtz alcohol inks. I have all the colors and they can be used if not poured directly to the pan, so I think that is way to go. Saves lots of money since I already have them. I just wasn't brave enough to use them first time trying. Heat and alcohol don't mix too well...

Anyways, clear ones are done on top of the stamp with clear UTEE and FLEX. I plan to color the texture side with alcohol inks. I will post pictures later if they come out fine and don't end up back into the magic pot.

I already dipped some of my Prima Flowers in the clear UTEE and plan to definitely do that more. Flowers get really nice "glass" finish. With FLEX mixed in, they don't crack. So many possibilities.
Later on maybe I try to make candles and lip balm. VERY ADDICTING POT!


2 comments:

Jean said...

Very neat.

scraphappysteph said...

I have never seen or heard of this. Now I have to google it. SO cool!